1 February 2024
UPCOMING ROAD MAINTENANCE – ROAD REHABILITATION – STATE HIGHWAY 1, HALLETS BAY AND WAITAHANUI
Downer is the road maintenance provider for NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi in the Central Waikato Area. As part of this year’s work programme we’ll be completing road rehabilitation work on State Highway 1, Hallets Bay area and Waitahanui.
Due to upcoming wet weather expected for Friday 2 February 2024, the road will now be open for traffic on this date.
Additional closures will now happen on Sunday 4 February and Monday 5 February 9am-2.30pm.
With multiple work sites between Taupo – Tūrangi, major delays are expected.
Date Time Event
Thursday 1 February 7am – 9am
2.30pm to 7pm
9am to 2.30pm
Friday 2 February Road now OPEN
Saturday 3 February No work – both lanes open under temporary speed restrictions
Sunday 4 February 7am – 9am, 2.30pm to 7pm
Stop/Go 9am to 2.30pm
Road now CLOSED
Monday 5 February 7am – 9am, 2.30pm to 7pm
Stop/Go 9am to 2.30pm
Road now CLOSED
Tuesday 6 February No work – both lanes open under temporary speed restrictions
Wednesday 7 February 7am to 7pm Open – Stop/Go traffic management
Hallets Bay works:
- The section of road we will be working on is narrow and does not provide enough room for motorists to
safely pass machinery and our workers onsite. See the map for further information.
- For safety reasons, SH1 will be closed between Taupō and Tūrangi from 9am–2.30pm on Thursday 1
February, Sunday 4 February and Monday 5 February.
- Traffic will be detoured via SH41 & SH32 then on to local roads of Poihipi and Wairakei Dr and vice versa.
- Stop/go traffic management will be in place between 7am–9am and 2.30pm–7pm for the morning and
- From 7pm–7am the road will be open with reduced speed restrictions.
- Residents living between the Taupō and Tūrangi closure will maintain access to their properties. During
9am–2.30pm we ask that you choose the appropriate end of SH1 to enter via as vehicles will not be
permitted to drive through the worksite (marked red on map). Please speak to the traffic controllers onsite
and follow their direction.
- Bus services will run as per usual and be allowed through site.
- Noise, dust and vibrations from the work is expected and will be managed to keep this to a minimum
throughout the work period.
- The safety of both yourself and our crews is incredibly important to us; please be patient, follow all
instructions of our crews and comply with all temporary signs at all times.
To make the most of the closure on SH1, we are also planning works at Waitahanui.
- Road resurfacing work at Waitahanui commenced on Tuesday 30 January 2024 and will take approximately
two weeks to complete (weather permitting).
- Stop/go traffic management will be in place between 7am-7pm.
The only time access to property will be interrupted is when work is being carried out directly in front of a
driveway. At all other times, residents will have access to their property.
Additional highway maintenance work will still continue along SH1 Taupō to Tūrangi to maximize the closure days.
Stop/Go traffic management will be in place 7am-7pm if needed.
We understand this work may cause inconvenience; however, our State Highway network is key to New Zealander’s ability to travel throughout the country, and this work is necessary to ensure the road is safe for everyone that travels on it.
We would like to encourage you to visit the Journeys website (https://www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic) so you can plan ahead and ensure you arrive at your destination on time.
If you would like to speak to someone about this project please contact the Downer Taupō Office between 7:30am – 5:00pm on (07) 378 4197 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For all after-hours queries you can contact Waka Kotahi
New Zealand Transport Agency on 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49) or visit https://www.nzta.govt.nz/contact-us.
Thank you for your patience and understanding……