Tongariro River Trail (TRT)
Video Tour of the Tongariro River Trail
Tongariro River Trail is an attractive scenic easy-to-ride loop trail along the banks of the beautiful Tongariro River. Starting at Tongariro River Motel the trail includes two swing bridge crossings over the Tongariro River, with plenty of spots to fish along the way. Most popular pools are even marked with an Angler Access sign! Biking the trail takes about an hour, and for walkers count up to 4 hours.
On the trail you experience everything from the beautiful river views, stunning native bush and farmland features. TRT also enables tourists all weather bike access from Turangi to the National Trout Centre - a must visit destination for everyone.
The TRT is suitable for all ages.
Here at Tongariro River Motel we have a variety of bikes of different sizes and models for hire.
As you can see on the map over 20 pools are accessible from the Tongariro River Trail. It is a perfect way to go from pool to pool without having to think about parking and getting back to your car.
And of course the bikes are available FREE for guests staying at the Motel.
Tongariro River Trail Map & Profile
Alternative Bike Trails
Ask at TRM reception for info and maps on many other bike trails and walking tracks.
- Full day ride from Tree Trunk Gorge to Pillars of Hercules (Upper Tongariro River) to Turangi via Tongariro River trail
- Full day - 42nd Traverse - SH47 on Tongariro National Park to Owhango
- Half day - W2K - Whakaipo Bay to Kinloch,
- Two day - Timber Trail - Benneydale to Ongarue
- Half Day - Kawakawa Bay to Kinloch (Taupo)
- Half day - Old Coach Road (Ohakune)
- Full day - Fishers Track - National Park to Bridge to Nowhere, Wanganui River
Various rides around Waikato River near Huka Falls, too many to mention...